Monday, October 8, 2007

Chica-GO KARA


My Friend Kara Handy (we've known each other from 6th grade!) ran the Chicago marathon yesterday. Yes, THE sweltering October 7th Chicago marathon in which 1 person died, 40 were hospitalized and they had to cancel after 4 hours because so many people were dropping like flies. She, by grace, was able to recover from heat exhaustion at mile 22 and walk 4 miles to finish with a speedy jog! It was truly an amazing accomplishment as we were part of a march to the finish with many other harried and exhausted runners. I was with Kara for the last 7 miles. I too was uncomfortable, so I can't imagine having run the marathon.
So, to all the runners who gave it a shot, Cheers! I hope you try again on a cooler day! Alaska anyone?

Pictured here, myself and Kara at the end.
You can probably tell that I'm really proud.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does your shirt say "Chica Go Kara"? That's so awesome!!!

Rebecca Peebles said...

yes, I thought that was clever... The best part was when a spectator yelled "Yeah Chica!!.... GO Kara! Oh, CHICAGO KARA!!!!" and we knew that she had the "ah ha" moment. Lot's of much needed laughter during our march through the heat!