Saturday, January 5, 2008

new year

I have spent the last 5 days, the first 5 days of this 2008th (by some calendars) year in a whirl of change. I probably look the same, I probably seem the same in other ways too...
Evaluate if you like. Here's a picture of myself and Mr. Butler at the beach around this time:

The new year coincidently (?) brought on some serious reflection into some personal issues I've been learning of, negotiating, and struggling with for a few years now. That's a pretty fast progression (in the grand scheme), but it's felt long enough. Brought on by the presence of warm, good people and intentional care of the soul (despite my stubborn unwillingness to care!), the revelation necessitates forward movement into the world with strength, gifts of love, and an ability to receive the infinite goodness that exists in the world.
I'm sure many others are experiencing a similar change (it is that time of year!) and it is inspiring to know my condition is universal.
So, with this change in thought comes plans to travel, plans to see art and culture that I've felt inaccessible to me in the past, plans to join the American Craft Council and participate in the contemporary merge of art and craft, continue to commit, with renewed vigor, to making the meaningful paintings and drawings, sculptures and installation pieces I've begun to make my regular practice. These are many: In this way, I'm still the old Rebecca-arie!

I mentioned that I'd seen the work of Agnes Martin at the Hirshorn Museum... Still inspired by that painting, I took the time to look her up and here's what I found:

Leaves, 1966


I couldn't find info. for this painting, though I think it was done in the 70s.

"Within the narrow parameters she set for herself, a square format (72 inches x 72 inches until 1995, when she changed to 60 inches x 60 inches), thin washes of color, and straight graphite lines, the paintings were endlessly varied and beautiful."
-Deborah Garwood
The above quote felt poignant to what I am doing in my recent work... I don't think I'm on the same track, but I'm inspired to say the least.
I also read an interview with Agnes Martin when she was in her 80s living in Taos (1995?). In this interview she is so clean in her description and egoless and simple in her interpretation of her art and the process. At first, I felt sorry for the interviewer (A.M.'s responses are so solid and short), but then I realized that the work of Agnes Martin and her philosophies of art making couldn't produce any more description. Minimalism frees the artist and the viewer from complexity and convolution. It's an act of love I'm happy to receive.
Click here to go to the 1996 Art in America Joan Simon interview with Agnes Martin.

No comments: