Wednesday, December 15, 2010

urban yoga














I practice yoga.  I am also a designer - of clothing no less.  I find yoga clothing to be wonderfully functional, however scripted and often more athletic than I desire.  When I'm headed to yoga, I'm not headed to "work out," but I'm headed to a place and time where I hope to practice the alignment of both my physical and mental states.  To me, it's just different than working out.

Lately, when I get ready for Yoga, I put on my snug-fitting, not-going-to-tangle-my-half-bind top and pants.  Then I query my closet for the outer layer just for wearing on the way to/from the yoga studio and usually I find the assortment of hoodies and jackets that I wear running, riding my bike, and to work out...  not really the yoga attitude I'm looking for.  Granted, who cares?  Well, I do.  I'm a designer of clothing, I want to look like the person I want to be in the world, and I think by dressing in certain ways, we "look the part" and therefore, feel the part. 

I should also add, that I live in an urban environment and I want the style of my yoga clothing to correlate with a more urban look.  Does this just mean using gray fabric and minimalist detailing?  Maybe, maybe not.  I think that's my opinion.  So, I do hope that other urban yogis might agree!  Here I present the urban yoga jacket made from terry-faced gray fleece (soft as sheep on the inside!). 

No comments: